Saturday, February 2, 2013

Blog Assignment #3

C4C #2
For my second C4C comment, I ended with two comments instead of one. Without following the directions in order, I commented on a classmate's blog post without reading the instructions for this blog post assignment first. Therefore, in my second comment, I reinstated the praise for her blog and the overall summary of what she had written. I also commented that she should watch a little more closely for minor grammatical errors, such as confusing simple words with each other and not using punctuation when needed. I also included in my comment the fact that it was very easy to make simple mistakes such as these, and that I, too, have fallen victim to the trickery of rules in language arts. I ended my comment with telling her that her post as a whole looked great. I chose to critique her post publicly through a comment instead of via email because we are all here to learn and help each other along the way. If someone else who was struggling in writing were to look at my comment, there's a chance that the advice I had given would apply to them, too. If I had only written my response to her through email, no one else would be able to see it and apply those ideas to his/her paper, as well. I did not write anything negative in my comment, and that was one of the most important rules to keep in mind. If I am staying positive in my editing, what is there to remain private, right?
Peer Editing
After watching the videos and slideshows about peer editing, I am much more aware of the fact that there is very much a right and wrong way to edit and critique someone else's writing. Although I try to be a kind-hearted person and hate to "call out" people when they are incorrect, I realize that this can be a weakness for me when I become an educator. It will be my job to show others their mistakes, and give them the constructive criticism they need to grow both academically and as a person. After learning more about correct peer editing, I was most impressed with the three steps that are involved, which are compliments, suggestions, and corrections.
The first step in successful peer editing that involves giving compliments to others is something that I can do with great ease. One of the main focuses of peer editing is to stay positive, and I feel that complimenting on a piece of work is the best way to send an edit off to a great start. I also found the rule of suggestion very helpful for future grading. Of course, no one wants to be told when he or she has done something incorrectly. However, I feel that suggesting how a person could do something differently rather than simply telling him or her that they are wrong about something will help them better open up to criticism. In my opinion, I think they will be more likely to listen and use the advice they have been given this way, also. Correcting people when they have made mistakes is not one of my strong points by any means, but I do realize that it is something that I will have to become better at if I'm going to educate people as my career. Just because I am correcting someone does not mean that I am being negative towards his or her work. On the contrary, I am simply showing them mistakes to guide them in the right direction of what to do differently in the future. The ideas of using compliments, suggestions, and corrections in peer editing makes much more sense to me now, and I will definitely use them efficiently in my future classrooms and when editing works of my classmates.
The Mountbatten
I was amazed after watching this video. Normally, when we think of technology use in the classroom, we mostly think about how smart boards, computers, iPads, etc. are beneficial to students in general education. Not until I saw this did I realize how much of an impact something like the Mountbatten can have on a student who is physically impaired. I was very impressed with it being able to print in braille and audibly repeat the letter that was being typed, along with the fact that it is able to transfer files to and from computers. I will definitely keep this device in mind when I become a teacher. If there are students in my classroom who are visually impaired and would be better able to keep up with the class if they had devices such as these, I will do everything in my power to have them and help each student learn, grow, and interact with the world around them by using these.
Assistive Technologies
After watching the videos about how technology is helping students who are blind and deaf, I am fascinated with everything that has been developed as aids for them. The Mountbatten, as stated earlier, as a remarkable tool for blind students who are learning to type and use computers within their classrooms. I was also fascinated with the electronic grid shown in the video "Teaching Math to the Blind" and how it was able to teach basic math skills. If it were not invented, perhaps no blind students would ever be able to grasp the concept of arranging and solving math problems in columns and rows. One of the most crucial pieces of technology I found throughout all of these videos, however, was the iPad. With it's touch-to-speak abilities, along with the help of Siri, students will be able to not only know which apps they are working with, but every intricate detail of each of them, such as book title, chapter, page number, etc.
These videos alerted some interesting thoughts into my mind. If there are schools for blind and deaf children that do not have enhancement technology such as this, how will the students be able to function normally and keep up with the rest of the world? As I saw in "Mr. Winkle Wakes", technology use is spreading rapidly everywhere except for in the classrooms. If students in general education will be hindered by this, how much more will it harm the future of those who are already physically disabled? When I become a teacher, my job will be to not only help students become knowledgeable in the subject I am teaching, but to also prepare them for life in the outside world. Because technology use is constantly changing and expanding, I believe that we, as educators, need to push that same type of expansion within schools. If I have blind or deaf students, or students with disabilities of any kind, I will strive to help them become well acquainted with technology, and to use those skills they have attained in my classroom to allow them to live successful lives as much as possible.
Vicki Davis: Harness Your Students' Digital Smarts
As a future educator, I am always inspired by teachers who are empowering their students to learn in ways that they will always be able to relate to and use in the world around them. As I watched the video about Vicki Davis, I realized that she is a perfect example of such an educator. From what I saw, Mrs. Davis throws out traditional rules of teaching and learning, and challenges her students to learn and absorb the information on their own. Even though they are in a rural community in Georgia, she is training her students to be able to communicate, interact, and work successfully with people from all over the world, and to use their skills to enhance their own futures, as well.
Throughout this video, I could not help but be reminded of Dr. Strange here in EDM 310. Like Vicki Davis, Dr. Strange puts us to the ultimate test every week of whether or not we are able to think on our own and be able to adapt to the ever-changing world. It may not be easy, but it is something that I know I, as a student, will be able to appreciate in the long run. This video has also helped me visualize how I would like my own classroom to be. My goal is to help students realize that they are fully capable of thinking, learning, and adding their own input into society. Hopefully, I will one day see some of the same results that instructors like Dr. Strange and Vicki Davis have had the privilege of seeing.

3 comments:

  1. This is Blog Assignment #3. Please correct.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Kelli! I'm Rebecca from EDM310. I thoroughly enjoyed your post. I agree with what you said about it being our job as educators to prepare our students for life in the outside world. And by integrating more technology into our classrooms, we will better be able to prepare our students for their future careers! Also, about peer editing, that's a great attitude to have! You're providing positive, constructive feedback to your students, and the only way to improve your peer editing skills is to practice!

    I have a few suggestions to make, though. First, in your "Assistive Technologies" section, on the third line, it should be "is a remarkable tool". Second, I think it would be better to separate each section and paragraph with a double line break instead of a single one. Having only a single line break makes it a little harder to read. Third, remember that every blog post after Blog Post #2 is supposed to have at least one picture in it, along with ALT and TITLE tag modifiers!

    Other than those things listed above, this was a great blog post! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete