Thursday, March 7, 2013

C4T #2

C4T Post #1 We all seem to have trouble with getting things done or remembering things at the time that we need to. This issue was the basis for the article "I Do It When I Think About It (so here's how to think about it at the right time)". In this latest post under Get Organized, Dr. Frank Buck gives readers some very practical but helpful insight as to why we may struggle with this problem. Research shows that much of our forgetfulness and loss of memory develops because of stress. Because we are so busy, it is very difficult to remember things at the exact times that we need to. According to Dr. Buck, this is where technology comes to the rescue. In this post, he recommends using smartphones and other devices to set digital reminders for the things that we need to do/get done, and setting them for the correct deadlines. He explains that he carries a notebook or some type of device with him everywhere he goes. By doing this, he can write down and set reminders for every aspect of his to-do list that comes to his mind and not just let it pass away.
I completely agreed with Dr. Buck in my comment on his post. I openly admitted that I struggled to get things done on times a lot because my mind is always going different directions. By using a smart phone or some type of technology to help me make a more organized agenda and set correct reminders, I can not only get all of my tasks done when I need to, but can take a tremendous amount of stress off of myself, as well.
C4T Post #2
The post that I was assigned to read this week was entitled "Thoughts for 'Music In Our Schools Month'" by Dr. Frank Buck. Dr. Buck opens this post with a quote by John F. Kennedy about hope for the arts in the future. In the quote, Kennedy states, "I look forward to an America which will reward achievement in the arts as we reward achievement in business or statecraft." Dr. Buck uses this quote to give an example of how crucial it is to encourage students to excel in art as they do in math or science. In this post, Dr. Buck makes a very interesting argument. He says that now more than ever before, schools are being encouraged to graduate students who are better than just memorizing data. This month is "Music In Our Schools Month", and Dr. Buck explains that music is something that is crucial element in helping children grow up well-rounded, and does not need to be overlooked. To give an example of positive feedback from encouraging student and art development, he posts a video at the end of the post of students in an elementary school choir in Staten Island. These students perform "The Star-Spangled Banner", and they weren't anything short of amazing.
I let Dr. Buck know who I was, and let him know that I felt the same way about music and art promotion in school systems today. I wrote that, like sports and intellectual clubs, the arts help students learn very crucial values in life, such as dedication, working as a team, and practicing. I also wrote that it brought a sense of joy in the students, as well. I told Dr. Buck how much I enjoyed watching the video of the elementary school choir, and how wonderfully the children stayed on the correct keys and harmonized. I ended with praising the girl who performed solo parts within the song, and let him know how amazing she was in my opinion. In summary, I let him know that music, to me, was something that I, like him, felt needed to be encouraged and promoted now more than ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment